Friday, August 14, 2009

The Stuff of Life Can Stop You Mid Post!

How long before you can declare stuff "junk" and discard? And I don't even have to concern myself with someone else's stuff. It's just me! I say one year is a  reasonable amount of time; except for clothes-- fat clothes, skinny clothes, and yes, the "maybe" clothes.  Tackling the sartorial stuff is more complex than the usual seasonal de cluttering. If you make sure clothes are clean and in wearable condition, you can stuff them into a nearby St. Vincent dePaul box, thus focusing on your generosity, a low level corporal work of mercy even, not your own corpus giguntus. 

Then there's the other stuff. For me, as I guess for others, the accumulated matter filling closets, boxes, and crawl spaces in my home reflects my tendency to "flit from one thing to another," as my mother used to say. I remember learning a great SAT word for that which escapes me at the moment. I'll come back to that. Ah...desultory!

As it turns out, this little blogging activity has led me to something deeper and, ultimately,more meaningful. Of course, true contemplation here would require one to consider one's possessions and think more deeply about shedding them, freeing one's self from these attachments, recognizing one's relative abundance.

No comments:

Post a Comment