Monday, October 26, 2009

Still A Mary Louis Woman After All These Years





I guess in addition to faith, family, friends, and work, TMLA remains an important factor in my life. Actually, my ongoing TMLA experience encompasses all of those things. Most recently, I attended a dinner welcoming SSP, Student Sponsor Partnerships to its first year with Mary Louis. SSP is a Manhattan-based, not-for-profit company which matches students with financial need to appropriate private secondary institutions. This year, TMLA welcomed 9 ninth graders via SSP-- to be matched to TMLA, the girls demonstrated the ability to be successful in the rigorous TMLA academic environment. Each girl will be supported also by a "time" sponsor. This is an adult who partners with SSP and TMLA to serve as a mentor or academic coach for the students. 
I am very excited to be a sponsor this year to a young lady who lives in Roosevelt, Long Island and has begun her career at TMLA. I met her and her parents at the opening dinner and quickly realized that I taught several of her cousins years ago. I am proud that TMLA is embarking on this journey and I am very excited to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment