Monday, September 7, 2009

The Other First Day: Opening Day

No, not the first day on the bus for kindergartners or anxious moms following in SUV's, not the dreaded summer reading test, nor the first foray into the cafeteria for a "new kid" in school. Those concern students and families and often evoke strong memories.  This other opening usually occurs the day before, when the faculty and staff of a school (for private schools) and of the entire district (in public school) gathers en masse for its own opening day ritual. If my count is accurate, after tomorrow, I will have attended 28 such events, including eight in three Catholic secondary schools and twenty in three public school districts. I think that gives me sufficient credibility to weigh in on the subject... and I shall, tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment