Saturday, September 19, 2009

Polarity Management:I'll Take a Ying Yang Combo:

In friend's blog post yesterday, (Ad Maioram Dei Gloriam) he discussed the concept of polarity management. This is based on the premise that oftentimes, what we consider problems to be solved are really "polarities to be managed."  I think this is especially true in cases or points of view that seem entrenched or intractable or in which people have taken sides or formed camps. Working within existing polarities in an organization makes so much more sense than the traditional problem-based, either/or methodology. That does not mean it's not difficult, or that such an approach will always be successful, but I think it's the right frame of reference from which to start. It suggests an honesty, a recognition of differences, and a respect for them. In my current undertaking, this approach will be interesting, but challenging because many people (myself included) at times feel confident that they alone know what needs to be changed and how to change it. 
While the details may be different and the terms new, this reminds me of the Aristotelian idea of moderation. Our current political culture would certainly benefit from a little polarity management, which I think the president is attempting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment