Sunday, May 2, 2010

You Don't Know Jack... Kevorkian, That Is

The HBO film is directed by Barry Levinson and stars Al Pacino, John Goodman, and Susan Sarandon, and  Brenda Vaccaro.  I pressed play on IO and from the outset, the music and the black, white, and red frames had me. I will return to the blog after I watch it. I hope I am not disappointed. It's such a complex subject, really, so of course, I'm now wondering why there were no shades of gray in the opening frame. Back later.

Well, it's now a few days later. I was a bit let down, but the film is worth watching, especially for its documentation of an important person and time in our recent history. Al Pacino played the very quirky, Jack Kevorkian well, and the plot moved along at a good pace, taking the viewer from the doctor's initial interest in physician-assisted suicide all the way to the trial culminating in his eight-year incarceration. I found some of Kevorkian's arguments compelling as he contrasted his preference for death with dignity to the removal of a patient's feeding tube which he likened to murder.

It is certainly more pleasant, however, to focus on life. To life!

1 comment:

  1. I want to watch the movie as well, but I haven't as of yet either.

    ...I don't think Dr. Kevorkian saw the issue with shades of gray...and now I'm wondering how it was portrayed.

    ReplyDelete