Thursday, February 25, 2010

We Believe in Comebacks. Pang.


Pitchers and catchers first and now all have arrived and are ready to begin again...nunc coepi.  I love that about baseball. New season, blank slate, starting over. So many cliches come to mind:  America's favorite pastime, wait til next year, hope springs eternal, the magic is back, the boys of summer. And then my beloved Mets announce their tepid slogan for the year, and I get my first Mets pang. Mets fans know exactly what I mean; we just don't talk about it. It's imperceptible at first, like a flash of foreboding. If it were words, they might be "oh geez," or "not again." Usually I get a pang when Omar makes a statement or has a press conference, or sometimes, when they have bases loaded and no one out and don't score. Unfortunately, the 2010 slogan was pang worthy. Why would you reference the recent forgettable past when beginning again, starting fresh, turning the page? Of course we do believe in comebacks; we wouldn't be Mets fans if we didn't. Maybe they're telling us that THEY too believe in comebacks just like we do. Okay. I get it. I'm passed it. Now on to April 5.

5 comments:

  1. Didn't know that you were blogging Mary...I am now a follower. And, as a fan, I feel the pang as well...perhaps the implied slogan for Mets fans would be 'we believe it when we see it'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh... Hope springs eternal. They're opening up a Ryan McFadden's at Citifield. Who could ask for anything more???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only the best nickel beer bar in all of NYC. Hannon I thought you would know that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You forgot. I've taken the pledge!

    ReplyDelete